ISO 14001 is one amongst a series of environmental management standards aimed toward promoting continual improvement in company environmental performance through the adoption associated implementation of an environmental management system. The ISO 14001 environment standard specifies the core components of associate EMS, however contains solely those components which will be objectively audited for certification or self-declaration functions. Environmental Management System standard, ISO 14001:2004 include examples, descriptions associated choices that aid within the implementation of an EMS and in desegregation the EMS into overall management practices. It’s not meant to be used by certification/registration bodies.
ISO 14001 defines associate overall environmental management system, closely shapely on the ISO 9000 quality systems standard, and covers the subsequent key elements:
* Establishment of associate applicable environmental policy that’s documented and communicated to staff and created out there to the general public, and which incorporates a commitment to continual improvement and pollution interference, regulative compliance and a framework for setting objectives;
* A designing section that covers the identification of the environmental aspects of the organization’s activities, identification and access to legal necessities, institution and documentation of objectives and targets in keeping with the policy, and institution of a program for achieving aforesaid targets and objectives.
* Implementation and operation of the EMS as well as the definition, documentation and communication of roles and responsibilities, provision of applicable coaching, assurance of adequate internal and external communication, written management system documentation likewise as applicable document management procedures, documented procedures for operational controls, and documented and communicated emergency response procedures;
* Checking and corrective action procedures , as well as procedures for normal watching and measure of key characteristics of the operations and activities, procedures for coping with things of non-conformity, specific record maintenance procedures and procedures for auditing the performance of the EMS;
* Periodic management reviews of the general EMS to make sure its suitableness, adequacy and effectiveness in light-weight of adjusting circumstances
The EMS as made public in ISO 14001 provides a structured method for the accomplishment of continual improvement, the speed and extent of that is decided by the organization in light-weight of economic and different circumstances. Though some improvement in environmental performance will be expected because of the adoption of a scientific approach, it ought to be understood that the EMS could be a tool that permits the organization to realize and consistently management the amount of environmental performance that it sets itself. The institution of associate EMS won’t, in itself, essentially end in a right away reduction of adverse environmental impact. Indeed, care has to be taken that the mere institution of associate EMS doesn’t lull the organization into a false sense of security. However effectively used, associate EMS ought to change a corporation to enhance its environmental performance and avoid or cut back adverse environmental impacts over time.
Integration of environmental matters with the general management system will contribute to the effective implementation of the environmental management system, likewise on the potency and clarity of roles.